PROP-ART PROJECT #1
THE PROPERTY GALLERY
BY PAUL McLEAN
A Conceptual/Real 4D [Cultural Analysis] Project by Paul McLean
March 10, 2014
To Whom It May Concern:
Please let me know if you are interested in participating in the production, actualization and realization of “Property,” and in what capacity. The project, which is outlined on the following page, may potentially require such services as those a realtor, financier, architect, construction contractor, interior designer can provide. The project might also benefit from either institutional support or a private arts entity for the purposes of advocacy, consultation and/or validation.
Bushwick/Brooklyn/NYC, NY (USA)
A Conceptual/Real 4D [Cultural Analysis] Project
By Paul McLean
The artist wishes to purchase a 6” x 6” section of Manhattan real estate, on which to site a gallery titled “Property” to house a 2” x 2” abstract painting titled “Free Speech,” to exist in perpetuity.
- Does the installation need to be established as a product of a foundation, or as a monument, or assigned some other kind of specialized designation, in order to satisfy ordinances, et cetera?
- What special protections would said installation require (from elements, vandalism, et cetera?
- Where should or could “Property” be located?
- The painting “Free Speech” should be housed in a miniature 4” x 4” “white cube”-style gallery.
- The gallery should bear a sign that reads “PROPERTY.”
- The interior and exterior of the gallery should be properly lighted.
- A tiny wall text placard next to the painting should be mounted, bearing the following inscription:
Title: “FREE SPEECH”
Artist: DIM TIM
Medium: Acrylic on Board (framed)
Relevant precedents, references and/or citations [among many]: Claes Oldenburg, “The Store” (1961, NYC); Elmgreen and Dragset, “Prada Marfa “(2005); Louis Vuitton/Marc Jacobs with Takashi Murakami, “©Murakami” (2008), at the Geffen Contemporary MoCA